Welcome to Project 16, a new phase in the 800 year history of St Nicolas Church. In 2016 we are celebrating the 800th anniversary of the completion of our parish church, a place of worship that has been in constant use in nine centuries. St Nicolas’ is the oldest building in Pevensey still in use for its original purpose. Only the castle is older, and it’s a long time since that was last used as a fortress. See below for a little of the church’s history
Having had a busy month of events, we now look forward to more activity. At the beginning of July we hosted a splendid concert by the Choristers of Canterbury Cathedral. The singing, the recital on our organ and the general presentation of the concert were first class, and it was a sell-out, producing a healthy input to our Restoration Appeal Fund. Have a look at the review, by Lark Reviews, on our MEDIA NEWS page. Then later in the month, as a part of the Wealden Food and Wine Festival, we held two “Talk and Walk” afternoons, giving a number of visitors a little history of the church and a guided tour of the building to see some of its hidden treasures. The church also proved to be a cool haven on a sweltering afternoon. This month will see another of our lunchtime organ recitals on Thursday 4th: details are on our CALENDAR page and further information about organ recitals in general can be found at: http://organrecitals.com/1/recitals0.php?venue=snp. Then at the end of the month we will be holding our annual Flower Festival, an event which every year brings visitors from far and wide, attracted by the now well-known displays of flowers and artistry, this year on the theme of “Celebrating 800 years of St Nicolas’ church in flowers”. This takes place over three days, 27th, 28th and 29th August, and will be rounded off by a concert by Sussex Strings on Wednesday 31st. For more information about these events see the CALENDAR page of this website.
If you would like to be put on our mailing list for future events, please contact Project Organiser George Stephens at firstname.lastname@example.org
Since St Nicolas’ was built people have come here Sunday by Sunday to worship and praise God. And they still do. And all through the week there are many visitors who come into the church to pray or to meditate or to weep, to find peace or consolation, or just to admire the Early English architecture and wonder at the skill and dedication of the craftsmen who worked here all those years ago. Their work was so good that the building has needed very little alteration during its history.
This gravestone, still visible in our churchyard, is dated 1610, about the time that Baron De La Warr, ancestor of our Patron, landed in Jamestown VA. It is from him that the bay, the river and the state received the name Delaware.
In the late nineteenth century the tower was raised and some restoration was carried out on the roof timbers of the nave, but the general layout, and much of the roof structure of the chancel, are as they were in 1216
Externally it has shown signs of wear from the constant buffeting of the salt-laden prevailing south-westerly winds, to the extent that moisture had penetrated to the inner surface, disturbing the plaster and painted finish.
In 2007 we commissioned a major restoration of the exterior, particularly of the tower and the east and south walls, after which we were advised to allow at least five years for the masonry, (in places four feet thick), to dry out. Now we intend to proceed with a programme of restoration of the interior to culminate in the Church’s 800th anniversary. Look in our “Works” page to find out what we are going to do, and what you will be able to take part in with us.